Instructions For Use —
Surface Preparation & Application Instructions
Hemp Shield™ is a water reducible hemp oil based product designed to penetrate wood, especially decks, and provide excellent durability with no peeling; deterioration of the finish occurs only through erosion. Hemp Shield™ also retards fungal and algae growth as well as controlling blue rot. Hemp Shield™ is recommended for use on any properly prepared wood decking, patios, wood screening, porches, outdoor furniture, steps, railings, plywood structures, and wooden fencing.
- Surfaces must be clean, free of all dirt, mildew, loose wood fibres, and other foreign matter.
- Surfaces must be structurally sound and completely dry.
- Wood moisture content must be below 15% (approximately the same as kiln dried lumber) or the surface must be exposed to dry weather for 3 to 5 days before applying Hemp Shield™.
- Previously stained or weathered wood surfaces must be sanded, scrubbed, or otherwise treated to remove loose wood fibers, dirt, mildew, chalky residues, waxes, oils from exotic and pressure treated wood, shiny new wood (Mill Scale) and other foreign materials.
- We do not recommend applying Hemp Shield to wood where a glossy finish remains. These
previous finishes will prevent Hemp Shield from working since it cannot
penetrate into the wood.
- To use Hemp Shield on wood that retains a coat of the previous finish it may be necessary to
remove the existing finish with blast media such as walnut shells, dry ice, or other media. In some
cases sanding may be required.
In ASTM testing, Hemp Shield records coverage of 324 sq. ft./gal. at 1 mil
dry film thickness. In actual use, Hemp Shield products typically form a dry film thickness of 0.5 mil,
increasing coverage to approximately 450-650 sq. ft. Because Hemp Shield
is a penetrating oil, coverage will vary due to species, porosity, cell structure, rate of growth, weathering, age, and other factors.
- Remove mildew by washing the wood with a solution of 1 part liquid bleach and 3 parts water.
- Do not add detergents or ammonia to the bleach/water solution.
- Apply the solution and scrub the affected area.
- Allow the solution to remain on the surface for at least 10 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with water and allow the surface to dry completely before applying Hemp Shield™.
LEAD WARNING — IF YOU SCRAPE, SAND, OR REMOVE OLD PAINT FROM ANY SURFACE, YOU MAY RELEASE LEAD DUST. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE.
Wear an NIOSH approved respirator to control lead exposure. Carefully clean up with a wet mop or HEPA vacuum. Before you start removing any finish, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the National Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on: www.epa.gov/lead
- Hemp Shield™ can be applied by brush, roller, and airless or conventional sprayers.
- Stir thoroughly before using.
- Avoid applying late in the day, when dew or condensation is likely to form, or when rain is threatening.
- Apply when the temperature (surface, product, and air) is between 50°F (10°C) minimum, 100°F (37°C) maximum, and at least 5° above the dew point.
- Relative humidity should not exceed 85%.
- Do not apply to new or restored wood if the moisture content exceeds 15% or the surface is wet to the touch.
- All water based decking stains have a potential to lap; to reduce lapping tendencies, do not apply in direct sunlight or when the wood feels hot to the touch. A very light misting of water, just enough to tighten the grain on the surface, will also reduce any lapping tendencies.
- Do not apply to any surface that feels wet to the touch.
- Use at package consistency — do not thin.
- Do not over-apply — excess material can cause uneven drying, discoloration, surface residue, and peeling.
Spraying Large Areas:
When spray applying over areas such as decks, patios, siding, shakes, shingles or fencing, it is recommended that Hemp Shield™ be back rolled or back brushed with a dry brush or roller, to ensure even penetration and remove excess material.
- Hemp Shield Deck Sealer and Wood Finish™ works very differently from other outdoor wood protectants. Instead of forming a urethane or acrylic shell over the wood's exterior, Hemp Shield™ penetrates the wood, working from within to protect and nourish your outdoor wood.
- When using Hemp Shield™, it is important not to over-apply, as excess material, if allowed to remain, can cause uneven drying, discoloration, surface residue, and peeling.
- Hemp Shield™ should be applied continuously from one end of a plank to the other. Immediately after application, Hemp Shield™ may appear slightly milky, but it will quickly become clear. Any excess material remaining on the wood at this point should be back-brushed, back-rolled, or wiped with an absorbent cloth.
- Different types of wood will accept varying amounts of Hemp Shield™. This is determined by species, porosity, cell structure, rate of growth, weathering, age, and other factors such as ambient moisture. Let the wood tell you how much Hemp Shield™ to use.
Application Method Specifications & Other Information:
- Brush — Use a nylon/polyester bristle brush.
- Roller — Use 1/8" to 3/8" nap synthetic roller cover. Shorter nap performs better when applying Hemp Shield™.
- Airless Sprayer — Pressure: 2000 PSI; Tip: .013" – .017"
- Conventional Sprayer — Pressure: 40-60 PSI; Fluid Pressure: 20 PSI; Tip: 704/FX
- Clean Up: Use 1-2 teaspoons of Ivory® soap to 1 gallon of water. Clean up should begin immediately after application is complete or when stopping for ten minutes or more. To avoid spontaneous combustion during temporary storage, soak soiled rags and waste immediately after use in a water filled, closed metal container.
- First Aid: In case of eye contact, flush immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention; for skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water. If affected by inhalation or spray mist, remove to fresh air. If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Call physician immediately.
- In Case of Spillage: Absorb with inert material and dispose in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Read the Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), available on the website, before using this product.
- Contains No THC.
State of the art protection for outdoor wood in a truly 'green' product.
Click The Shield To Visit The Online Store
The Online Store